Enter your personal details below:
Enter your account details below:
Borrower’s Agreement & Tool Use Policy
1. Members must be age 18 or over to borrow tools from The Transition Linlithgow Tool Library (“Library”).
2. Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) complete a Membership Application; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification Form; (c) sign this tool policy form; and (d) have their residence confirmed by a Tool Library volunteer or member of the staff. Completing a Membership Application includes the completion of the Membership Application form and verification of the Member’s identity. Verification of the Member’s identity is accomplished by presenting a valid government-issued photo ID and a second form of identification that includes a current address.
3. Library staff are available to assist in explaining operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
4. Only the Member is authorised to use Library tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of the Library.
5. Some tools come with consumable parts (e.g. sanders have sanding pads, jigsaws have blades). Members should bear in mind that these consumable parts come at a cost, and should they deplete them, they should either replace them, or cover their cost (e.g. 50p for a sheet for a sander).
6. All tools borrowed are to be returned to the Library by close of business on their due date. Tools may only be returned during the Library’s open hours. Please return tools to the place they were borrowed from. Failure to do so will mean a delay in them being checked in and a fine being accumulated.
7. If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for a late fee. We do not want to do this, but it makes members remember the next time. Other people are relying on you to return the tools, so please be considerate. This late fee will be £1 per day per tool for every day until the tool is returned. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the tool plus a £5 administrative fee per tool. The Library may replace severely delinquent tools, holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost plus a £5 administrative fee. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing further items.
8. The Library reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve delinquent tools or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action and assess the delinquent Member with the cost of any such action. Under UK Law, ‘borrowing without the intent to return’ is theft. The Library reserves the right to contact the police to retrieve tools if it deems such action appropriate. The Library also reserves the right to forgive late fees due to special circumstances.
9. Tools may be reserved in advance. All reservations must be confirmed by a Tool Library staff member, volunteer, or automated response to be effective. The Tool Library reserves the right to make an exception to this policy for large, community events. No exceptions will be made for individual lending.
10. Members may renew each tool once if (a) the Member renews online or contacts the Library by noon on the day before the tool is due, and (b) no other Member has reserved the tool. The Library reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals and will do so based on demand. The exception to this may be items that are in particularly high demand (cordless drills or mowers in the summer).
11. The Member agrees that the Library is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
12. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify the Library of the issue on return, if not earlier.
13. All tools are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean or the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library may charge the member £5 to cover the cost of cleaning. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item through misuse, and further agrees to accept the Library’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to the Library’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the item plus a £5 administrative fee.
14. The Library reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
15. Linlithgow Tool Library membership comes with the opportunity to use the workshops at Donaldson's School. To access the full workshop, it is necessary to be inducted on certain tools. This induction can be booked by emailing email@example.com
16. Access to workshops and the borrowing of tools may be refused if a member is under the influence of any substances, legal or illegal. Your safety is our priority.
I affirm that the information that I have provided on the Membership Application is current, true, and correct. I understand that this information may be subject to verification.
I further state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library, and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed a waiver form, relinquishing any and all claims against the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library. Please make sure you have signed below acknowledging that you have read and agree to the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library’s Tool Use Policy.
Tool Library Waiver and Indemnification
The tools and equipment in our collection are for the use of The Transition Linlithgow Tool Library members. Out of respect for future users, please clean any tools you borrow before returning them and report any damage to a tool librarian on return. In some circumstances payment for a broken tool may be required if the tool has been operated in a negligent manner. If you feel compelled to return them in better condition than when you borrowed them, then that would be highly appreciated.
Below is the legal declaration we need you to agree to:
I,(Tool Library Member), state that I am capable and experienced in using the tools I am borrowing, and that I will use the tools I am borrowing in a proper manner. I,(Tool Library Member), do hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow tools, waive any and all claims against The Transition Linlithgow Tool Library, its officers, agents, and employees for any injury or injuries of any nature that I may suffer or incur in the use of the tools that I am borrowing from the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library.
I,(Tool Library Member), hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow tools, agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library, its officers, agents, and employees from any and all liability, loss, claims, and demands, actions or causes of action for the death or injury to any persons and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person which arises or may arise or be occasioned in any way from the use of tools I am borrowing from the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library. I am aware that the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library, its partners, directors, officers, members, and employees claim no expertise and make no representation concerning the fitness of any tool for any particular use. I affirm that the above information is current, true and correct and may be subject to verification. I further state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed this Waiver and Indemnification form, relinquishing any and all claims against the Transition Linlithgow Tool Library, its officers, agents, and employees.
Already have an account?
Forgot your password?